Applicants holding a university entrance qualification from a country other than Germany must have their certificates tested and assessed by UNI-ASSIST. For further information, please click here.
Please note that the uni-assist application form by itself is not sufficient to take part in the application process at the Film University Babelsberg. In addition, you must apply directly at the Film University Babelsberg via the online application portal and hand in the VPD document together with the other requested documents by post during the application period as mentioned on the Film University homepage.
Please click here for the online application form.
Students who wish to be admitted to the program must meet the admission criteria and successfully prove their technological and artistic eligibility to enroll. The assessment of applicants' technological and artistic eligibility encompasses the pre-selection process and the admission test, both of which will be conducted according to the applicable regulations and statutes of Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF.
Applications are accepted only once a year for the Winter Semester. The application period is March 13, 2017 through June 9, 2017. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
For each application, an administration fee of EUR 25 will be charged. Please make your payment via bank transfer, indicating the payment reference number 1506600000079, your applicant number, and your name. The Film University's bank details as well as further information can be found in the Application Fee section.
Please submit your application as one combined document with continuous page numbers, sorted in the following order and use loose binding, such as clip binders or plastic grips (no spiral, coil, comb or other fixed binding types).
Please clearly indicate your name and applicant number (you will find the applicant number on the print-out of the online completed application form) on all application materials and send them to the following address within the stipulated deadline.
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
Studiengang Audio-Visual Application Design
Please submit the following application materials after successful completion of the online application:
(Further information for foreign students is available in the International Students section.)
1. The signed print-out of the online completed application form
2. Index (Please also list the work samples)
3. A CV in tabular form
4. Evidence (please submit a copy of your certificate) of the successful completion of a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts program or a comparable degree in Media Informatics, Computer Science, Media Technology or a comparable course of studies.
Please Note: Proof of knowledge in computer science and audio-visual media production technologies has to be provided.
5. Certificates / references (originals or certified copies!) providing evidence of at least 13 weeks of practical experience in the relevant professional field at the time of applying. Certificates / references should detail the type, scope, and quality of work performed. Applicants are expected to have practical experience in the field of (media) computer science, software development or audio-visual media production.
Note: Internships, traineeships and positions as student assistants can also be considered.
6. A table listing your professional experiences (click here for the template)
7. Applicants must provide evidence of English language skills by submitting, e.g.:
– a TOEFL iBT (Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 83
– a TOEFL CBT (Computer-based TOEFL) score of at least 220
– a TOEFL PBT (Paper-based TOEFL) score of at least 560
– an IELTS (International English Language Testing System
– Academic Test) score of at least 6.0
– a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Applicants from countries where English is an official language do not have to provide evidence of English language skills.
8. International applicants holding a university-entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-1 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). (see International Applicants)
9. Work samples showing the applicant's suitability for the program, including each of the following:
– A documentation (10 pages maximum) of realized and planned projects within the last three years, with focus on one, several, or all of the following aspects:
- Technical concepts and software development
- Scientific and/or artistic research
- Audio-visual media productions
The documentation of a project should include the classification to the above aspects, the conception, the technical implementation and the presentation of the results.
– A documentation of creative-design skills with regard to auditive and/or visual media.
– Further documentary material, for example to the above-mentioned projects, work samples and code examples are explicitly desired (USB stick with data in standard media formats). Film material may have a maximum total length of 15 minutes.
The applicant must have made substantial contributions to all submitted projects.
- A concept including a timetable, if applicable cost allocations and the description of the technical implementation für a first media technology project taking about 6 months for its realization.
Please note: As both the application deadline and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
Based on the materials submitted, the admissions committee will decide which applicants will receive permission to take the admission test and inform them in writing.
Stage I: Written Assignment
– Film analysis
– Questions on basic knowledge in the field of media computer science
Stage II: Practical Assignment
– Development of a concept addressing a technological and creative topic from the field of media productions
– Presentation and analysis of the concept from a creative and technological perspective
Stage III: Interview
– Presentation and discussion of the project concept submitted in advance
– Evaluation of the applicant's methodological and technological knowledge regarding audio-visual media design and production
- Discussion of academic research questions in the area of audio-visual media
The pre-condition for moving on to the next stage is the successful completion of the preceding stage.
Normally, the admission test results will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the last test.
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.