Study With Degree

All degree programs are open to foreign applicants with the appropriate qualifications; admission requirements and the application procedure apply accordingly. Written application documents/work samples must be submitted in German. Foreign educational certificates must be submitted as originals or as officially certified copies. If certificates are not in German or English, an officially certified translation in the original or as an officially certified copy must be enclosed.

Special regulations apply to the application procedure for applicants who have acquired their university entrance qualification or their first degree qualifying for a profession abroad. In addition to the general application documents, you may have to submit additional proof of your degree certificate and your German language proficiency. Please inform yourself about the applicable regulations

Information on the recognition of foreign school-leaving certificates as university entrance qualifications in Germany is available on the website In addition, the Film University's International Office is available to answer questions about the equivalence of foreign educational certificates.

Degree Programs and Credit Points

The Film University awards credit points according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). 1 ECTS corresponds to approximately 30 hours of workload. A full semester corresponds to 30 ECTS.

Bachelor Programs at Filmuniversity Babelsberg

Master Programs at Filmuniversity Babelsberg

Health Insurance and Visa

All students must have health insurance in Germany, regardless of whether they are program students or exchange students, to be able to enroll at a German university and apply for a residence permit. Students from European Union countries with EHIC are exempt from further insurance requirements. 

Students from other countries that do not have a separate social security agreement with Germany must first check with the insurance provider in their home country to see if their insurance is recognized in Germany. If this is not the case, students must take out additional insurance in Germany.

More Information on Health Insurance in Germany


Citizens from EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland do not need a visa to enter Germany.

Citizens from other countries, for which there is currently no visa requirement, can stay in Germany for 90 days within a 180-day period without a visa. The currently valid visa regulations are available on the website of the German Foreign Office. The visa application process may take several months. Therefore, please consult the German embassy of your respective country in good time for further information on regulations and any changes.

More information on Visa Requirements in Germany