The Film University's research projects cover the entire range of thinking about and with moving images. All project formats are represented, from short-term explorations to multi-year externally funded projects. The division into scientific, scientific/artistic, and arts-based/practice-based research serves as an orientation on fundamental research perspectives that are mutually complementary.
This distinction can be roughly outlined as follows: scientific research develops verifiable arguments and findings that are supported by proven methods and integrated into the discourses of scientific disciplines. At the Film University, approaches from film, media and communication studies are in exchange with each other.
Scientific/artistic research combines the two approaches outlined above and seeks insights that hold up both scientifically and artistically. This category also includes research projects that take place within the context of the scientific/artistic PhD program. Arts-based/practice-based research emphasizes the intertwining of knowledge, aesthetic experience, and artistic practice. It understands the process of artistic creation as a process of exploration and cognition and film as a medium of thought and reflection. The Film University's activities in this area are bundled and supported by the Institute for Artistic Research (IKF).
Filmuni proudly presents
The proudly presents format, alternating between an event and a publication, offers a summarized overview of the Film University's research activities. Interested parties are welcome to register HERE in the corresponding mailing list.
- Futures Art School Trends - 2045
- Pedagogical Relationships in Digitally Supported Educational Processes (PaedBez).
- ART FOR FUTURES LAB
- Animation and Contemporary Media Culture. Challenges and Potentials of Animation Studies in the Digital Era
- Research Ethics in Communication and Media Studies (FEKOM)
- Cinepoetics – Poetologies of Audiovisual Images
- Collisions - Colliding media forms as a new way to access digital heritage
- Jewish Film – What is it? An Approach Through Festival Programs and Reception Attitudes
- SPUR.lab - Site Specific Augmented Storytelling Lab
- Postcards for the Future