Thank you for your interest in studying at our university. Below you will find information on the application process as well as on required application documents and work samples.
Please note: As both application deadlines and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
The admission process consists of:
1. The submission of the documents specified in 1.1-1.4
2. The subject-specific scholastic assessment test
3. The selection interview
The Film Heritage M.A. program is a degree program with restricted (NC-based) admission.
You will find the link to our Online Application Portal below in section 2 (Applying Online).
Applications are accepted only once a year for the winter semester. The application period is June 15, 2019 through July 15, 2019. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
1. Preparing Your Application Documents
All applicants are required to submit the application documents specified in sections 1.1. through 1.4. Section 1.3. is only relevant for applicants who have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession at an institution in anon-German-speaking country and do not hold German citizenship.
1.1. Standard Application Documents
- the signed print-out of the online completed application form
- a CV in tabular form
1.2. Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program
For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a German institution, the required certificates are specified under "German Certificates". For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a non-German institution, the required certificates are specified under "Foreign Certificates". For applications to this Master program, the regulations specified in §9, paragraphs 5-6 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG) are valid.
Please submit a copy of your certificate to proof the successful completion of an B.A. program in social sciences or liberal arts or another relevant university degree program.
In case the Bachelor's degree has not been awarded yet as the applicant still has to take a few final exams and the results of the exams taken so far suggest that the degree will be completed prior to the beginning of the Master's program, the applicant must submit a certificate issued by the registrar's office of his/her university.
Applicants who have earned their degree abroad must have their certificates tested and assessed by uni-assist (further information uni-assist). Please consider that the recognition process at uni-assist can take up to 6 weeks (you need the VPD document from uni-assist before our the application deadlines end). Fees are incurred for the checking of your application documents.
- This also applies to German citizens.
- Citizens of the People's Republic of China, Mongolia, and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam are asked to familiarize themselves with the special regulations for applicants from these countries.
1.3. Language requirements
International applicants holding a university-entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-2 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Please submit a copy of the language certificate. Please inform about the accepted German language proficiency certificates of the study program.
Note: Further information if your German proficiency is lower than the required level.
1.4. Subject-specific scholastic assessment test
Until the end of the application period, all applicants must take a subject-specific scholastic assessment test. The test comprises two written assignments dealing with different aspects of film heritage as an academic specialty.
At the beginning of the application period, the test will be made available on this website. The test must be handed in together with all other application documents before the application period ends. Please note that no documents can be handed in after the application period has ended.
Moreover, applicants must declare in writing in lieu of an oath that they have completed the subject-specific scholastic assessment test entirely on their own.
The printed test must be sent to Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, Dezernat 1 in duplicate.
2. Applying Online
All applicants to B.A. and M.A. programs must apply online via the university's application portal. Please note that an administrative will be charged for each application.
There are special requirements for applicants who hold a foreign university entrance qualification or have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession abroad. Please note that registering with uni-assist alone is not sufficient. All applicants must additionally apply via the Film University's online application portal.
3. Submitting Application Documents
Please indicate your name and applicant number (from the online application portal) on all application documents. Send your documents, the signed application form (from the online application portal), and your work samples to the following address within the stipulated deadline:
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
- Please note that the application deadline is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline. Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
- Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
- Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
- We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing or via the online application portal. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
4. Selection Interview
Based on the average grade achieved upon completion of the first degree program qualifying for a profession – or, respectively, the preliminary average grade – and the result of the scholastic assessment test, the admissions committee will pre-select candidates for selection interviews. The selection interview will last approx. 30 minutes.
Selection interviews will take place on Monday, 30th of July 2018 and Tuesday, 31st of July 2018 in room 1306.
Applicants are expected to show the following:
- Knowledge of film history in general and a special subject of their choice
- Knowledge of basic theoretical patterns and approaches in media studies
- The ability to reflect upon the history of film esthetics in a differentiated manner
- The ability to reflect upon the issue of audio-visual heritage from the perspective of media history, film esthetics, technology, social sciences, or archive science
Normally, the result of the selection process will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the selection interview.
Do you have questions about the application?
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.