Thank you for your interest in studying at our university. Below you will find information on the application process as well as on required application documents and work samples.
Please note: As both application deadlines and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
Students who wish to be admitted to a program must meet the admission criteria and successfully prove their program-specific artistic eligibility to enroll. The assessment of applicants' artistic eligibility encompasses the pre-selection process and the admission test, both of which will be conducted according to the applicable regulations and statutes of the university.
You will find the link to our Online Application Portal below in section 2 (Applying Online).
Applications are accepted only once a year for the winter semester. The application period is March 8, 2021 through May 16, 2021. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
1. Preparing Your Application Documents
All applicants are required to submit the application documents specified in sections 1.1. through 1.5. Section 1.3. is only relevant for applicants who have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession at an institution in a non-German-speaking country and do not hold German citizenship.
Please insert page numbers on all application documents (with the exception of your work samples) corresponding to the order below and submit them in a spring binder (please do not use spiral or fixed binding).
1.1. Standard Application Documents
- the signed print-out of the online completed application form
- a table of contents (please also list your work samples)
- a CV in tabular form
1.2. Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program
For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a German institution, the required certificates are specified under "German Certificates". For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a non-German institution, the required certificates are specified under "Foreign Certificates". For applications to this Master program, the regulations specified in §9, paragraphs 5-6 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG) are valid.
Please submit a copy of your certificate to proof the successful completion of an B.F.A. program in set design or another relevant university degree program.
In case the Bachelor's degree has not been awarded yet as the applicant still has to take a few final exams and the results of the exams taken so far suggest that the degree will be completed prior to the beginning of the Master's program, the applicant must submit a certificate issued by the registrar's office of his/her university.
Applicants who have earned their degree abroad must have their certificates tested and assessed by uni-assist (further information uni-assist). Please consider that the recognition process at uni-assist can take up to 6 weeks (you need the VPD document from uni-assist before our the application deadlines end). Fees are incurred for the checking of your application documents.
- This also applies to German citizens
- Citizens of the People's Republic of China, Mongolia, and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam are asked to familiarize themselves with the special regulations for applicants from these countries
1.3. Proof of German Language Skills
Applicants who hold a university entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution and do not have German citizenship are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-1 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Please submit a copy of your language certificate.
If you wish to apply for this Master program, please click here for information on the accepted language tests.
Please note: If you don't have the required language certificate yet by the end of the application period, please click here.
1.4. Certificates / references of practical experience
- Certificates / references (originals or certified copies!) providing evidence of at least 26 weeks of relevant practical experience performing creative work in the TV, film, theatre, or media business. Certificates / references should detail the type, scope, and quality of work performed. The necessary practical experience can be acquired until the beginning of the program.
- a table listing your professional experiences (template)
1.5. Work Samples
Work samples showing the applicant's suitability for the program, including each of the following:
- a documentation of works and projects from the last three years revealing the applicant's individual artistic position
- a portfolio containing at least 20 artistic works, such as drawings, sketches, paintings, graphics, illustrations for short stories, photographs, digital images, story boards, matte paintings, concept art, digital assets, or showreels (incl. shot breakdown).
2. Applying Online
There are special requirements for applicants who hold a foreign university entrance qualification or have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession abroad. Please note that registering with uni-assist alone is not sufficient. All applicants must additionally apply via the Film University's online application portal.
3. Submitting Application Documents
Please indicate your name and applicant number (from the online application portal) on all application documents. Send your documents, the signed application form (from the online application portal), and your work samples to the following address within the stipulated deadline:
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
Additionally, please hand in all application documents in digital format:
- all texts as one PDF
- photographs as JPG
- the film as Vimeo_Link (including your name and applicant number)
Please send all files and the link ia email to:
Focus on VFX: vfx.bewerbungen(at)filmuniversitaet.de
Focus on Production Design: pd.bewerbungen(at)filmuniversitaet.de
Please use your name and applicant number as the subject line as well as for the PDF file.
- Please note that the application deadline is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline. Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
- Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
- Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
- We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing or via the online application portal. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
Based on the materials submitted, the admissions committee will decide which applicants will receive permission to take the admission test and inform them in writing.
5. Admission Test
Creative / Practical Assignment:
- Visualization of a screenplay or a complex narration
- Drawing and virtual transformation of spaces
- Interview on the works and projects submitted as well as the works produced during the admission test
Normally, the admission test results will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the last test.
Do you have questions about the application?
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.