Exchange study/Incoming

Students and graduates of foreign universities can apply for an exchange stay at the Film University for a maximum of 2 semesters. As a rule, your home university should have an Erasmus+ agreement or a contract for a bilateral exchange with the Film University.

Fact Sheet & Erasmus Student Charta


Exchange studies at our university are only possible in a degree program that corresponds to your course contents at your home university. Please note that all lectures are held in German. The scope of possible academic and examination achievements is determined by the respective degree program. There is no legal claim to specific academic and examination achievements. If you would like to apply for the exchange program, please send us:

  • The completed application for admission as a visiting student.

  • Your Curiculum vitae

  • Details of your academic progress to date (e.g. transcript of records, certificates)

  • Letter of recommendation from a professor at your university/art school

  • Letter of motivation as to why you would like to spend a semester or an academic year at the Film University

  • Proof of your German language proficiency, Level B1

  • Work samples

  • Photograph in JPG Format

Attention! Only valid for applicants from the PR China: Please additionally submit a certificate (ORIGINAL!) of the Academic Examination Office of the Cultural Department of the German Embassy in Beijing (APS). Further information can be found here.

Please indicate when and in which Film University degree program you would like to complete an exchange semester. Your documents will then be forwarded to the corresponding degree program, which will decide whether you can attend classes as an exchange student. However, we recommend submitting your application by May 15 at the latest for the following winter semester and by November 15 for the summer semester. Please send your documents including work samples as one PDF document via email to the International Office of the Film University.


Students from partner universities must be nominated by their home university in advance.

Nomination deadline:

  • winter semester: April 15
  • summer semester: October 15

Application deadline:

  • winter semester: 15. May 15
  • summer semester: November 15

Degree Programs and Credit Points


The Film University awards credit points according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). 1 ECTS corresponds to approximately 30 hours of workload. A full semester corresponds to 30 ECTS.


Bachelor Programs at Filmuniversity

Master Programs at Filmuniversity

Health Insurance and Visa

All students must have health insurance in Germany, regardless of whether they are program students or exchange students, to be able to enroll at a German university and apply for a residence permit. Students from European Union countries with EHIC are exempt from further insurance requirements. 

Students from other countries that do not have a separate social security agreement with Germany must first check with the insurance provider in their home country to see if their insurance is recognized in Germany. If this is not the case, students must take out additional insurance in Germany.

More information on Health Insurance in Germany


Citizens from EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland do not need a visa to enter Germany.

Citizens from other countries, for which there is currently no visa requirement, can stay in Germany for 90 days within a 180-day period without a visa. The currently valid visa regulations are available on the website of the German Foreign Office. The visa application process may take several months. Therefore, please consult the German embassy of your respective country in good time for further information on regulations and any changes.

More Information on Visa Requirements in Germany

Housing in Potsdam

The Studierendenwerk Potsdam manages accommodation for students at the Film University. More information can be found here. The fact sheet lists more helpful links for finding housing in Potsdam and Berlin.

Buddy Program

In addition to language tandem and study assistance, there are other ways to get involved in the Buddy Program and be part of our international student community :) It's worth it! The Buddy Program filmF.R.I.E.N.D.S offers not only an enriching exchange between students, but also joint events and excursions. 

 Jonathan from the M.A. Editing program coordinates the Buddy Program, plans the events and is the contact person for all matters concerning the international students. You can reach him at any time at buddy(at)

We are open to your suggestions and look forward to hearing from you. 

Your International Office Team Isabell, Jonathan and Rosa

Confirmation of Supervision

You would like to apply for a DAAD, ERASMUS or FULBRIGHT scholarship and need a confirmation of supervision by a professor at the Film University for your project? Then please first send us your complete application for admission to the Film University as a visiting student. After reviewing your application documents, you will receive the desired confirmation of supervision once your visit has been approved.



Students whose home university has an Erasmus+ agreement with Film University Babelsberg can ask their home university whether they are eligible for Erasmus+ funding. The relevant contact partner is the International Office of the home university.

DAAD Scholarships

The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) offers various funding programs for foreign students. Please inquire about this early, as application deadlines may be well in advance of the actual time of stay.

Visit the DAAD Scholarship Database here