"As a young filmmaker, I’m challenged and conflicted by the complexities of the ethics of representation, especially when making a film with someone who's going through a complex institutionalized process."
There are two main questions that guide the research: In what ways does considering the position as a filmmaker affect the relationship with the film participants? How does this consideration influence the choice of documentary film form? Rand Beiruty uses what Chapman and Sawchuk (2012) refer to as “Research-from-Creation” where research data is generated through the production of artistic work, in her case, documentary films. Nudar (2018) is one of three projects that she is working on within the frame of this artistic research.
Synopsis: Nudar is a Syrian woman who came to Germany in order to pursue her career as a doctor. Recognizing her personal agency, the filmmaker, Rand, gives Nudar a camera so that she can film whatever she wants. Consequently, Nudar turns the camera on Rand. And so, the film takes the form of a dialogue between the two women, in which they reflect each other’s ambitions and challenges of acclimating to a new society.
Award: Winner of Tribeca Film Institute IF/Then Pitch Competition at CPH:DOX –Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival
- Project Lead: Rand Beiruty
- Contact: Rand.Beiruty(at)filmuniversitaet.de
- PhD Advisors: Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Neubauer, Razvan Radulescu
- Scientific PhD in the discipline: Screenwriting / Dramaturgy
- Cast: Nudar, Scarlett, Jasmine, Rand
- Director and Producer: Rand Beiruty
- Cinematography: Annegret Sachse
- Editing: Meys Al-Jezairi & Abdallah Sada
- Editorial Consultant: Beatrice Babin
- Sound Designer and Re-recording Mixer: Israel Bañuelos
- Sound Recordist: Simon Ferber and Christoph Hertel
- Colorist: Abdallah Sada