Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Lena Gieseke
Lena Gieseke is a professor of Visual Media Technologies / Technical Direction in the 2016 established M.A. Creative Technologies program and as its dean responsible for developing the curriculum.
She earned a Ph.D. from the University of Stuttgart as a member of the Visual Computing group in the Department of Computer Science with the dissertation Control mechanisms for the procedural generation of visual pattern designs. Her research in the field of computer graphics is published in a number of peer-reviewed journals. From 2012-2015 she held a scholarship of the Digital Media doctoral program. In 2015, Lena Gieseke spent four months as a visiting researcher at Adobe Research in San Jose, USA. Her collaboration with Adobe led to the US Patent Interactive generation of procedural ornaments.
Before returning to academia in 2012, Lena Gieseke worked for several years as software developer and 3D artist in the visual effects and 3D computer animation industry. Her animation A 3D Exploration of Picasso’s Guernica has been screened internationally, for example at the animation festival of the Ars Electronica in Linz, Austria.
Computer graphics, software development, media design
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
- Computer Graphics, Procedural Generation, Materials & Shading
- Software Development, GPU Programming
- 3D Computer Animation, Technical Direction and Pipeline Development
- Data Visualisation
- Interaction Mechanisma, Human-Computer-Interaction, Interactive Storytelling
- Creative-artistic Control Mechanisms
- Gieseke, Lena; Asente, Paul; Lu, Jingwan. Interactive generation of procedural ornaments. Patent US20180101972A1 (2019).
- Gieseke, Lena: Control mechanisms for the procedural generation of visual pattern designs. Dissertation. Fakultät Informatik, Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, Universität Stuttgart (2018).
- Gieseke, Lena; Asente, Paul; Lu, Jingwan; Fuchs, Martin: Organized Order in Ornamentation. Proceedings of the Symposium on Computational Aesthetics (2017).
- Gieseke, Lena; Klingel, Sven; Fuchs, Martin: Shake it up – Image Decomposition and Rearrangements of Its Constituents. Proceedings of the Workshop on Computational Aesthetics (2015).
- Gieseke, Lena; Koch, Sebastian; Hahn, Jens-Uwe; Fuchs, Martin: Interactive Parameter Retrieval For Two-Tone Procedural Textures. Computer Graphics Forum 33 (4) , S. 71–79 (2014).
- Gieseke, Lena; Koch, Sebastian; Hahn, Jens-Uwe; Fuchs, Martin: Applying state-of-the-art parameter retrieval for procedural textures. Proceedings of the 11th European Conference for Visual Media Production (2014).
- Gieseke, Lena; Koch, Sebastian; Hahn, Jens-Uwe; Fuchs, Martin: Towards visually assisted navigation of large parameter spaces. Proceedings of the Workshop Big Data Visual Computing – Quantitative Perspectives for Visual Computing (2014).
- Fuchs, Martin; Koch, Sebastian; Gieseke, Lena; Mozer, Florian; Eberhardt, Bernhard: Towards a Practical Gamut of Appearance Acquisition. Eurographics Workshop on Material Appearance Modeling: Issues and Acquisition 2013 , S. 21-23 (2013).
Screenings of Lena Gieseke's Animation A 3D Exploration of Picasso’s Guernica (2007):
- Unabhängiges FilmFest, short film selection, Osnabrück, Germany, 10/2008
- Ars Electronica, "Best of" selection, Linz, Austria, 09/2008
- Seoul Design Fair, Hall of Imagination, Seoul, South Korea, 09/2010–10/2010
AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- Scholarship "Promotionskolleg Digital Media" 04/2012-03-2015, Hochschule der Medien Stuttgart, University of Stuttgart
- Special recognition award for "Outstanding Contribution to the History Channel Documentaries", University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA, 04/2007
- DAAD scholarship 08/2004-08/2005