We are happy about your interest in our study programs. Please find all the information you need concerning how to apply and all requested application materials.
Please note: As both the application deadline and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
Students who wish to be admitted to the program must meet the admission criteria and successfully prove their artistic eligibility to enroll. The assessment of applicants' artistic eligibility encompasses the pre-selection process and the admission test, both of which will be conducted according to the applicable regulations and statutes of Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF.
Only online applications will be accepted. The application form will be available during the application period (please see section 2. online application).
Applications are accepted only once a year for the Winter Semester. The application period is January 3, 2022 through January 31, 2022. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
Attention: the application requirements can change at any time, please check this website regularly.
1. Application materials
All applicants have to submit the requested materials in section 1.1. to 1.6., section 1.3. applies only if the Higher Education Entrance Qualification was not obtained in Germany or at a German school abroad and the applicant does not have the German citizenship.
Please submit your application as one combined document with continuous page numbers, sorted in the following order and use loose binding, such as clip binders or plastic grips (no spiral, coil, comb or other fixed binding types).
Written application documents and work samples must be submitted in German.
1.1. General documents
- The signed print-out of the online completed application form
- Index (Please also list the work samples)
- A CV in tabular form
- An explanation why you wish to enroll in the program (1 page maximum)
1.2. University entrance qualification certificate
The university entrance qualification complies with §9, paragraphs 2 - 4 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act.
German university entrance qualification certificate
- i.e. a copy of the certificate proving your general or specialized university entrance qualification; applicants who do not hold either of the certificates mentioned above / an equivalent certificate are asked to submit their most recent school certificate
International university entrance qualification certificate
International applicants holding a university entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution / foreign school must submit the certificates as original documents or copies, that have been legally certified. If certificates are not written in German or English, a legally certified translation must be included as an original document or a copy that has been legally certified.
Please note: for applicants from the People’s Republic of China, Mongolia and the Socialistic Republic of Vietnam special arrangements apply.
1.3. Language requirements
International applicants holding a university-entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-1 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Please submit a copy of the language certificate. Please inform about the accepted German language proficiency certificates of the study program.
Note: Further information if your German proficiency is lower than the required level.
1.4. Certificates / references of practical experience
- Certificates / references (originals or certified copies!) providing evidence of at least 20 weeks of practical experience in the relevant professional field (film, TV, media art) at the time of applying. Certificates should detail the type, scope, and quality of work performed (e.g., as an intern, as clapper loader, focus puller, film / TV lighting technician, or video assistant). In exceptional cases, the practical experience can be completed until the beginnig of the study programme.
- a table listing your professional experiences (click here for the template)
1.5. Work samples
Work samples showing the applicant's suitability for the program, including each of the following. Please add a table of contents listing the items included in your portfolio.
- A series of 10 black-and-white photographs (digital or analogue with a format of 18x24cm or similar) capturing the character of one or more persons. The series should show the narrativ and visual thinking process
- A portfolio with 15 (digital or analogue, color or black-and-white) photographs with a subject of your choice showing your artistic expression, observational skills and visual layout.
- A maximum of two examples of your work as a cinematographer (such as a self-produced film or excerpts from such films with a maximum total length of 15 minutes). Please do not send showreels. Please submit both work samples in QuickTime format on a USB stick (Codec H.264, max. resolution HD 1920x1080p, max. data rate 30 Mbps).
1.6. Medical Certificate
- The result of an ophthalmological assessment proving acuity of color vision (a color plate test is sufficient).
3. Submit your application materials
Please submit the application materials after successful completion of the online application. Clearly indicate your name and applicant number (you will find the applicant number on the print-out of the online completed application form) on all application materials and send them to the following address within the stipulated deadline:
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
Additionally, please submit all texts, documents, and work samples digitally as follows:
- Film work samples as Vimeo link (lablelled with your name an dapplicant number)
- The total of 25 photographs need to be handed in as JPEG (max. size 2MB per photo) collectively on a cloud or file-hosting application as a downlod link. Please lable the link with your name and applicant number.
Please send an index of those downloads/links as well as all other texts and documents as one single .pdf in an email to cinematoghraphy.bewerbungen(at)filmuniversitaet.de
- This is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline. Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
- Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
- Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
- We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
The selection process consists of the pre-selection of applicants and the admission test, which comprises two stages. Based on the work samples and materials submitted, the admissions committee will decide which applicants will receive permission to take the admission test and inform them in writing.
5. Admission Test
Practical / Creative Assignment:
- Applicants will receive a subject for a practical exercise to be realised during the admission test
- Analysis of a film screened during the admission test
- During the admission test, applicants will pitch of an idea for a documentary film that could be produced during the first film exercise of the degree program. Pitches should be no longer than 2 minutes.
Based on the quality of the materials submitted / produced, applicants will be invited for the interview in the next stage.
Interview on the practical/creative as well as the written assignments produced during the admission test, the application documents as well as artistic and personal motivation.
The admission test results will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the last test.
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.