Creative Coding for Beginners
Date: 12-16 September 2022 (Follow up 30 Sept. and 14 Oct. 2022)
Number of participants: 10-12
Costs: 660,- EUR
Students receive a 10% discount off the regular price.
Early Bird before 31 May 2022: 600,- EUR
The digital transformation of our world has opened up new ways to express ourselves creatively. The world of algorithms should no longer be left to computer specialists and software developers, but should also be explored by creative people.
For those who want to express themselves artistically, programming has become a useful skill. Traditionally, coding is used to create functional applications, but it can be an equally powerful tool for realising one's creative vision in the form of expressive applications in visual art, design, games and interactive experiences.
In the five-day online course "Creative Coding for Beginners", participants will acquire basic programming skills and implement creative coding examples using the popular, web-based, open-source programming environment p5.
With the help of exercises, participants will practise algorithmic thinking and learn how creative ideas are translated into code. There will also be a variety of practical examples with a special focus on graphics, sound and interactivity. After the five-day course, participants will be encouraged to develop their own project and will receive technical and creative support in two further follow-up sessions where they can directly apply their newly acquired knowledge to further develop their individual ideas.
No prior technical or programming knowledge is required for this course.
Register here (Extended application deadline: 15 August 2022)
Content & Objectives
Part 1 – Introduction
- General understanding of programming
- Overview of programming languages and the p5 environment
- Understanding and practicing of algorithmic thinking
Part 2 – Programming fundamentals & practical exercises
- An understanding of programming with p5 and gaining the skills to develop simple programs from scratch and to apply programming as an expressive tool. In regard to programming, we will cover:
- Commands, variables
- The programming skills are applied to implement creative coding examples including:
- Color and graphics
- Pictures, videos, camera capture
- Participants will also gain knowledge about additional resources and inspiring examples and are guided towards and a learning through self-studies throughout the course.
Part 3 – Individual project
- Gaining fundamental programming skills and an understanding of their application in a creative context.
- Daily live online sessions with Professor Dr. Lena Gieseke from the Creative Technologies program at the Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF with two additional follow up meetings that include individual advice and technical support for an individual project
- Group meetings with Creative Technology students and other international participants from interdisciplinary backgrounds
- Certificate upon completion
After Stefan Püst completed his B.Sc in Computer Science with a focus on Digital Media at the Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences in 2013, he worked as an Android app developer in a project to develop a telematics system at the IBM Client Innovation Center in Magdeburg. Parallel to this employment, he completed the Master's programme in Digital Media at the Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences, which he completed in 2019.
From 2016 to 2019, he worked as an IT administrator at the Babelsberg Film University. In this position, he was responsible for the computer labs of the study programmes Animation, Scenography and Creative Technologies. Following his work for the IT Service of the Film University, he moved to the Creative Technologies study programme as a research assistant in 2019. There, he is researching interaction mechanisms in live performances as part of his intended doctorate. In addition, he is responsible for teaching in the area of physical computing, machine learning and administers the study programme's hardware.
Registration and Participation
The Creative Coding Crash Course is directed at participants aged 18 or older who want to learn programming in a creative context. Participating in the course does not require any previous knowledge of programming or film.
Participants are asked to register online using our application form. Spots are limited and will be awarded based on registration date after assessment of the application and receipt of the participation fee.