We are happy about your interest in our study programs. Please find all the information you need concerning how to apply and all requested application materials.
Please note: As both the application deadline and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
Students who wish to be admitted to the program must meet the admission criteria and successfully prove their artistic eligibility to enroll. The assessment of applicants' artistic eligibility encompasses the pre-selection process and the admission test, both of which will be conducted according to the applicable regulations and statutes of Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF.
Only online applications will be accepted. The application form will be available during the application period (please see section 2. online application).
Applications are accepted only once a year for the Winter Semester. The application period is January 4, 2021 through January 31, 2021. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
1. Application materials
All applicants have to submit the requested materials in section 1.1. to 1.5.; section 1.3. applies only if the Higher Education Entrance Qualification was not obtained in Germany or at a German school abroad and the applicant does not have the German citizenship.
Please submit your application as one combined document with continuous page numbers, sorted in the following order and use loose binding, such as clip binders or plastic grips (no spiral, coil, comb or other fixed binding types).
Written application documents and work samples must be submitted in German.
1.1. General documents
- The signed print-out of the online completed application form
- Index (Please also list the work samples)
- A CV in tabular form
- The reason why you wish to enroll in the program (i.e. a text with a maximum length of 2 A4 pages that describes your motivation for becoming a film director as well as your individual perspective on / attitude towards the world)
1.2. University entrance qualification certificate
The university entrance qualification complies with §9, paragraphs 2 - 4 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act.
German university entrance qualification certificate
- i.e. a copy of the certificate proving your general or specialized university entrance qualification; applicants who do not hold either of the certificates mentioned above / an equivalent certificate are asked to submit their most recent school certificate
International university entrance qualification certificate
International applicants holding a university entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution / foreign school must submit the certificates as original documents or copies, that have been legally certified. If certificates are not written in German or English, a legally certified translation must be included as an original document or a copy that has been legally certified.
Please note: for applicants from the People’s Republic of China, Mongolia and the Socialistic Republic of Vietnam special arrangements apply.
1.3. Language requirements
International applicants holding a university-entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-1 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Please submit a copy of the language certificate. Please inform about the accepted German language proficiency certificates of the study program.
Note: Further information if your German proficiency is lower than the required level.
1.4. Certificates / references of practical experience
- Certificates / references (originals or certified copies!) providing evidence of practical experience of at least 12 weeks in the relevant professional field at the time of applying. Certificates / references should detail the type, scope, and quality of work performed. Applicants are expected to have practical experience ralated to film or directing work in film, TV, series, the theatre or artistic media production (e.g. assistant director, regional broadcasting stations, intern, public-access broadcasting services, media education projects). In exceptional cases vocational training can be recognized as practical experience if directly concerned with creating, processing and/or producing film, TV and media productions.
- Atable listing your professional experiences (click here for the template)
1.5. Work samples
Work samples showing the applicant's suitability for the program, including each of the following:
- A documentary, fiction, or experimental film / video (with a total length of no more than 10 minutes) directed by you. You may submit either one film / video or an excerpt / excerpts from one longer film / video (no showreels). In any case, the film / excerpt(s) must be submitted both on a ready-to-play video DVD and on a data DVD in QuickTime format. A video DVD, data DVD or Vimeo link with a password can be submitted as a backup. The DVDs should be labeled clearly with your name and applicant number from the online portal.
Please alo include the folloig information to your film sample: Your name, title of the film / video, information on the film / video excerpts (if applicable), video or data DVD. Please also enclose a sheet containing the following information: title, length, and short (three-line) synopsis of the film, information on the excerpts (if applicable), year of production, crew, cast / protagonists.
- An outline (1 A4 page maximum) for a documentary, fiction, or experimental short film or a short TV / Internet format conveying your personal approach to the respective subject. This outline should be different from the film sample.
- 7 documentary photographs (maximum size: A4) on a subject of your choice (no film storyboards, no film stills). Please number your photographs accordingly.
All work samples – with the exception of films / videos – must be submitted in hard copy. Please include your name and applicant number on your application documents. Work samples submitted on DVDs or USB sticks (exemption: the film) will not be considered in the selection process.
3. Submit your application materials
Please submit the application materials after successful completion of the online application. Clearly indicate your name and applicant number (you will find the applicant number on the print-out of the online completed application form) on all application materials and send them to the following address within the stipulated deadline:
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
Studiengang BA Regie
Please note: Considering the circumstances due the Corona virus we ask all applicants to hand in their application additionally via email.
Please send you documents as PDF files and your film work as Vimeo_link (with your applicant number)
Please send to Anne Czambor, study programme Directing a.czambor(at)filmuniversitaet.de
- This is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline. Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
- Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
- Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
- We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
Based on the materials submitted, the admissions committee will decide which applicants will receive permission to take the admission test and inform them in writing.
5. Admission Test
The (one-week) admission test will be conducted during May / June.
Practical / Creative Assignment:
- Creation of a documentary sequence with a video camera
- Filming of an acting sequence
- Test of the applicant's ability to concentrate, capacity for teamwork, power of observation, sense of rhythm, and ability to direct actors
- Filmic adaptation of a literary text
- Interview on the applicant's artistic and personal profile.
Normally, the admission test results will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the last test.
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.