ART FOR FUTURES LAB
“If you want to build a ship,” advises Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, “then don't drum up people to gather wood, assign tasks and divide up the work, but teach the people to long for the vast, endless sea.”
- Project start:
- Project completion:
Cinematic sci-fi visions of the future are usually dystopias. The ArtForFuture-Lab is developing an international online future museum that interactively and co-creatively takes on the challenges of the 21st century. Due to the complex socio-economic, cultural and ecological issues, strong images and value-based visions are required in order to be able to steer towards positive, sustainable futures.
We work with methods that have been modified from world-building, design-thinking, re-gnosis and future prototyping. Based on an interdisciplinary and scenographically designed online play area, scenes for the year 2050 are developed. Extensively researched archives provide knowledge of already existing solutions as well as dramaturgical inspiration for acting characters and scouted locations. These are based on utopias such as the "Technotransformation World" (relies on solutions through technological progress) and the "New Greening World" (relies on natural life and product concepts such as bioeconomy or a circular society). We strive for a creative high-tech cooperation platform for collaboration with research institutions.
The innovative, participatory developed outputs serve as a prelude to long-term-oriented processes in which formats for exhibition, internet, print, book and TV are to be used across the media. Social media clips are a way of telling visionary solutions in an exciting, informative and inspiring manner in series format. The ArtForFuture-Lab researches media formats and develops an emotionally imaginable, fact-based approach that can bring civil society into action. Fears about the future that are widespread at the moment are being replaced by positive narratives.
Website resulted of an ArtForFuture-Lab / New Greening Workshop on 11.5.2021 at Filmuniversity Babelsberg:
Team: Sebastian Esposito (MA VFX), Jana Herrmann MA VFX), Josephine Bischof (MA Digitale Medienkultur), https://josephinebischoff.wixsite.com/projektmomentum
A collection of recent works created during the project can be viewed here: ART FOR FUTURES LAB showcase.
Film exercise and teaching on the New Greening World in the summer semester 2021.
Selected results of the Art For Future Labs
The group project based on an AFFL workshop on the "New Greening World" resulted in the practical scenographic implementation for studio construction, which had to be agreed upon through dialogue. Students from other disciplines creatively took up this brief and shot a variety of film scenes.
Photo sequence: New Greening Studioset at Babelsberg Film University in the summer semester of 2021 during the construction phase. BA Szenography: Kim Lange, Anastazja Gawron, Sophia Roetschke, Johanna Kowalski, Anika Koppe, Uju Choi, Linda Gagelmann
Art For Futures Lab@ ELIA Biennial Conference Helsinki, Finland, 24.11.2022
- Ocean Future Lab, Online Hackathon, 21. – 23.9.2022
Ocean Future Lab@ Futurium Berlin, 26.8.2022, 14:00-18:00
Ocean Future Lab, Online Workshop, 7.7.2022, 14:00-17:00
Ocean Future Lab@ German Maritime Museum in Bremerhaven, 25.6.2022, 12:00-19:00
Art for Futures Potsdam@ Filmmuseum Potsdam in cooperation with HTW, 30.6.2022, 14:00-22:00
Art For Futures Lab@ ELIA Leadership Symposium: Stories of Uncertainties, Tallin/Estonia, 10.6.2022
Ocean Future Lab, Online Workshop, 9.6.2022, 14:00-17:00
Ocean Future Lab@ German Maritime Museum Foundation in Stralsund, 31.5.2022 12:00-19:00
Ocean Future Lab@ Online Workshop, 24.5.2022, 14:00-17:00
- Art For Futures Lab@ Potsdam Science Day, Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy, 7.5.2022, 13-19 Uhr
- Ocean Future Lab@ MS Wissenschaft, Wissenschaftsjahr 2022 Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, 6.5.2022 13-19 Uhr
- Ocean Future Lab@ Filmuniversität BA Szenografie, 14.2.2022 9:30-15:30 Uhr
- ArtForFuture-Lab@Climate SciFi: Art and Business-Cooperations for a sustainable Live-Event. A collaboration between HTW Berlin and Filmuniversity Babelsberg, 27.10. and 3.11.2021
- ArtForFuture-Lab @ Entrepreneurship Summit, 23.10.2021, 10:45 - 13:00
- ArtForFuture-Lab @ International Transdisciplinary Conference, 24.9. 2021, 13:30 – 15:00 CET
- Presentation & Workshops @ Zero Waste Berlin Festival 17. - 19.9. 2021
- ArtForFuture-Lab @ Impact Festival 17.9.2021, 10:30 - 12:00 CET
- Workshop @ Leuphana Utopia Camp initiated by the transformation researcher Maya Goepel and the philosopher Richard David Precht, August 24 & 25 2021, 9-19 CET
- Presentation ArtForFuture-Lab @International GEECT-Conferenz "Transversal Entanglement - Artistic Research in Film", 3rd June 2021
- ArtForFuture-Lab / New Greening, 11.5. 2021, Filmuniversität Babelsberg & with international guests from e.g. Goldsmith University London
- ArtForFuture-Lab @The Future Living - Conference, 6.5. 2021
- New Greening Design-Workshop, Filmuniversität Babelsberg 26.4. - 7.5. 2021
- Presentation ArtForFuture-Lab @ UpdateDeutschland since 15th April 2021
- The Future of Art - Workshop 13.4. 2021, Filmuniversität Babelsberg & with international guests from e.g. Maastricht University
- Future Prototyping of Kärcher 2050, 18.11. 2020
ArtForFuture-Lab: CO-IMAGINATIONS and CO-PRODUCTIONS, Kepler's Garden, Ars Electronica, 10.09. 2020
Zukunftsbeben, Hackathon and Design-Workshop, Filmuniversität Babelsberg, 03. - 10.06. 2020
- Art For Futures Lab Workshop @ For Futures Summit, 30.05.2020
Concept and Realization:
Prof. Angelica Böhm, Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, email@example.com
Nicole Loeser, Institute for Art and Innovation e.V., firstname.lastname@example.org
Design & Research AFFL playing area:
Kay Scholz, Lucia Eifler, Franziska Herbes, Jan Schneider
Jan Schneider, Emad Metwally
Design Workshop “Zukunftsbeben” Videoclips:
Aisha Muthesius, Philomena Koebele, Kasia Zucheka, Anna Laszlo, Antonia Nestler, Linda Bruna
Scientists for Future, AWI, Ars Electronica, IKF, Potsdam UNESCO-City of Film, Made out of WHAT!?, Makers4Humanity etc.